At the January Congregational Board meeting, it was agreed to advise all members of our projected financial position for 2014.
At the end of December 2013 the position in the General Fund was a deficit for the year of £386. The Board was most grateful to receive an unrestricted Legacy in January 2013 for £10,000, which clearly greatly assisted our financial position. In addition, with excellent on-going levels of giving from members, all our commitments were met at the end of 2013. However, if it were not for this Legacy and levels of giving being maintained, the deficit would obviously have been in the region of £10,000.
Without the benefit of a Legacy in 2014, and with increased expenditure projected for Gas and Electricity costs, increased salary costs (as we move to pay our staff the ‘Living Wage’) and an increase in Presbytery dues, it is estimated that the deficit in 2014 will be between £10,000 and £15,000, and that we will not be able to meet all of our commitments. This is clearly a major concern, and one that we feel we must not wait until further into 2014 to address.
It should be noted that no direct financial support is given to the Makeover Project or Befriend Motherwell from our general finances, as these schemes are mainly grant-funded and are entirely separate from our day-to-day finances.
To address the financial situation during 2014, all expenditure that is under our direct control will be reviewed to examine where savings can be made. Members are also asked to consider their personal level of giving. In particular, we are appealing to you for:
- A general increase in offerings.
- If you are a tax payer, (on income or savings),
please sign a GIFT AID declaration, which is completelyconfidential.
- Gift Aid increases your offering by 25%.
- Last year our income from tax reclaim was over £16,000
- Consider giving by monthly standing order via your bank.
- If you already give by standing order, and have not increased your offering recently, you may wish to consider doing so by changing your standing order. You can do this simply by writing to your bank or visiting the branch.
- Standing Order and Gift Aid forms can be obtained in the front and rear vestibules of the Church building. Once completed, these can be returned directly to Willie Brown or Christine Mathie, or handed to the Elders on duty on Sunday mornings. These forms are also available online at the members section of our church website.
Many Thanks for your continued support,